Teaching all the right things

Smith System has been improving educational environments for more than 100 years, making them more comfortable, healthy and effective for students and educators. As we go forward, we see the need to make a positive impact on both educational environments and our natural environment.

Products manufactured using environmentally friendly processes include student desks, stack chairs, activity tables, library shelves, and other school furniture.  Dealers such as Worthington Direct feature Smith System products online at http://www.worthingtondirect.com/appCatalogManufacturerPartSearch.cfm?manufacturerID=756.

Green Guard

Indoor air quality is a growing concern among consumers. They demand healthy, low emitting products and materials in their homes, workplaces, schools and hospitals. Many states are reacting to these concerns and are working on regulations that address this issue. Unfortunately, these standards might differ from state to state. The GREENGUARD Environmental Institute offers a stringent worldwide standard that makes individual regulations obsolete. Be proactive and become GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®.

GreenGuard information: About GREENGUARD Environmental Institute
The GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI) is an industry-independent, non-profit organization that oversees the GREENGUARD Certification Program. As an ANSI Authorized Standards Developer, GEI establishes acceptable indoor air standards for indoor products, environments, and buildings. GEI’s mission is to improve public health and quality of life through programs that improve indoor air. A GEI Advisory Board consisting of independent volunteers, who are renowned experts in the areas of indoor air quality, public and environmental health, building design and construction, and public policy, provides guidance and leadership to GEI.

We aim to make our manufacturing processes as efficient as possible, because efficiency reduces waste.

Specifically, we’re reducing:

Waste that goes to landfills – this has been one of our most successful areas. In the summer of 2005 alone, our bulk shipping initiative reduced the amount of corrugated cardboard used by 225,000 lbs.

Energy used to produce product – by working cleaner and smarter we’ve cut our energy consumption.

Environmental impact on the part of our vendors – we work closely with those in the supply chain to make sure they’re doing their part to safeguard the environment when making goods from wood product, steel, and plastic.

Waste – last year, rather than sending 50,000 lbs. of plastic from chair shells and edge moldings that didn’t meet our quality standards to the landfill, we had the material recycled for use by another manufacturer.

Packaging – following our successful experience with reducing packaging, we’re working with our vendors to reduce the amount they use.

Meanwhile we’re increasing:

The recyclability of products – the majority of our chairs are composed of polypropylene plastics and chromed steel and are 99% recyclable (glides and/or casters make up the remaining 1%). Booktrucks are also 99% recyclable.

The use of recycled steel product in our products

The use of renewable resources in our products – by weight, our desktops are composed of a very high percentage of sustainable, renewable wood product.

Make sure that you are teaching all the right things by getting GREENGUARD certified and demanding that your school furniture, church furniture and early childhood furniture purchases are certified as well.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.